Name: Ann Mackay
Hospital: PEI renal program
Phone: (902) 368-5472
Area of Nephrology: education
- We had one staff member, Karen Moore who attended Western PD days. She will share some of her knowledge at a spring education day.
- One person from PEI will be writing for the CNeph certification this year.
- If February Alana Campbell came to PEI to present on Hemodyalysis catheter dysfunction. I met Alana at the CANNT conference in Ottawa and she agreed to include PEI on her Maritime tour. We sat in on one of her Webex sessions and plan to participate in the one being presented in April. Thanks Alana!
- We are actively encouraging dialysis patients to choose peritoneal dialysis and many are making the move!
Name: Ruby Frotten
Hospital: Yarmouth Regional Hospital, Southwest Health, Nova Scotia
Phone: 902-742-3542, ext.1646
Area of Nephrology: Chronic Kidney Disease Coordinator
1. Education activities in the past 3 months?:
-A group of Hemodialysis nurses have attended a CVC management session which was excellent.
-The nurses have also attended many in-services, some via Telehealth.
-I attended the Western PD Days in Vancouver, BC in Feb, 2013 which was very interesting and informative.
2. Interesting projects or initiatives (e.g.: new program, research, new equipment):
-A policy and procedure has been approved for vaccination with Energix to improve outcomes.
-We have updated our Informed Consent form for dialysis.
-We have also developed an Informed Patient Refusal form for patients who have had all the teaching regarding access and refuse to have a fistula done.
-Quality initiatives have also been done around immunization and personal directives.
-We continue to build our Peritoneal Dialysis Program. I have been doing my training in the Halifax Home Unit. We had a training/education session with a core of medical nurses in Yarmouth to be able to provide PD/respite care for admitted PD patients. We also have collaborative PD clinics with Halifax via Telehealth. The core team has also increased, in members and time allotment
-A Home Therapies initiative has also been introduced…more to follow!
3. Staff/unit accomplishments you would like to recognize (e.g. operational efficiencies, new techniques):
-Two of our staff has Certification in Nephrology.
-Grand Rounds (which includes Bone and Anemia management) done by the multidisciplinary team, and Vascular and Transplant Rounds are done on a regular basis.
Name: Marilyne Boudreau Inf. CNephC
Hospital: Bathurst Regional Hospital
Vitalite Health Network
Phone: 506-544-6598 Fax: 506-544-2041
Area of Nephrology: Resource Nurse for: Pre Dialysis clinic; Nephrology clinic; Peritoneal Dialysis; Pre and Post Transplant clinic; Hemodialysis clinic.
1. Education activities in the past 3 months?:
We were lucky to have Melanie St Coeur, renal dietician, give us an education session on nutrition and dialysis. In January, with the help of the infection control department, we had a 3 day hand washing audit an education blast. The results were great, thank you and congratulations to the staff.
2. Interesting projects or initiatives (eg: new program, research, new equipment):
The new Intensive Care Unit will be opening soon. In this new unit we will be able to do hemodialysis in every patient room. The nursing staff in the renal transplant clinic is working hard and learning a lot about the Canadian Transplant Registry (HSP) Highly Sensitized Patients program and the (LDPE) Living Donor Paired Exchange program.
3. Staff/unit accomplishments you would like to recognize (eg. operational efficiencies, new techniques).
Congratulations to Cathy Frenette LPN for winning a CANNT membership. Cathy is a devoted LPN who’s been working in the hemodialysis clinic and the Nephrology clinic for the past 3 years. She has always shown interest in learning more about her work, is appreciated by her coworkers and the patients. Again, Congratulations.
4. Other information you would like to share with colleagues across Canada.
We have been busy with a rapidly increasing number of new hemodialysis patients. Also we have reorganized the nephrology clinics/office in order to accommodate the growing number of patients coming to the clinics. A big thumb up to all personnel involved.
Name: Mary J Larade RN CNeph©
Hospital: CapeBreton Regional
Area of Nephrology: Optimal Care Coordinator(Vascular access &anemia management)
1. Education activities in the past 3 months?
We held a Vascular Access Camp over 2 days with 4 hour sessions each day.(Mar 19th & 20th)
Our Nephrologists, Vascular Surgeons and Interventional Radiologist and Nurses presented.
95 % of our staff attended and overall it was deemed successful.
2. Interesting Projects or Initiatives:
We have purchased 2 new Transonic machines for Access Blood Flows and 2 new RO machines. Our unit has also purchased 26 new dialysis chairs.
3. Staff/unit accomplishments you would like to recognize
7 Staff are planning to go to CANNT Atlantic.
Name: Carolyn Bartol
QEII Health Sciences Centre, Capital District Health Authority, Halifax NS
- Two staff were able to attend Western PD Days in Vancouver BC in February and found it informative and rewarding.
- Three staff attended the Annual Dialysis Conference in Seattle Washington. Two posters were presented from our program: Identifying Sources of Decisional Conflict in Patient Choosing a CKD Treatment Option and Establishing a Self-care unit within a Busy HD Unit
- We are busy planning for the CANNT ATLANTIC REGIONAL SYMPOSIUM taking place June 7 & 8 in Dartmouth. See the CANNT website Events page for details. We have a good program planned and are looking forward to seeing as many as possible attend.
- We have welcomed 5 new staff to our Incentre Programs and several to our satellite sites this winter.
- A staff communication newsletter is in the works and will begin circulation this spring.We plan to publish it quarterly. It will contain updates on satellites/ CANNT/ research/policies/education initiatives/ new staff/ quality program statistics , etc.